A zebra foal died at the zoo after getting frightened by fireworks that caused the animal to ram into the border of its enclosure.
9-month-old baby zebra named Hope was a symbol of positivity at Noah’s Ark Zoo Farm in Wraxall, UK, prior to its tragic death on November 4.
As the zoo officials confirmed in a statement, the little animal was killed by impact after charging into the boundary of its enclosure because it got spooked by fireworks that were set off nearby.
“As a zoo, we are determined that something good comes out of this and so we feel it is so important that people are aware of what has happened,” the zoo expressed in a statement.
“We hope people will change their views about fireworks and become much more aware of the impact they can have on animals.”
According to the zoo, the tragic incident should inspire change whereas people should “think hard and adopt alternative arrangements like silent fireworks or other more animal-friendly options for their bonfire night celebrations.”
Speaking of the foal’s unexpected death, Larry Bush, the zoo’s managing director, confirmed that the animal appears to have died “as a result of fireworks being set off at nearby events which were intended as a celebration.”
“We’re feeling devastated by the loss of our young zebra Hope. She was so full of energy and life and she was a very healthy young zebra,” he added.
“… We know this was not the intention of local organizers and people letting off fireworks but it does demonstrate in a tragic way the impact that fireworks can have on animals – whether this be zebras, horses, native wildlife or pets in our homes.”
Recommended Video For You!
Fighting Wild Horse Gets Help From Friend During Scuffle