If you have ever pet a dog, you know that they are no less than a family member to you.
They take care of you, protect you and make you laugh by playing with you. That’s why it is really sad to say goodbye to them in their last moments. And if something unfortunate happens to them unexpectedly, you are left devasted. That is the kind of a story of a woman whose puppy died five days after eating chocolate brownies.
Kate Chacksfield, 51, made some brownies at her home and since she was on a diet, she decided to use Xylitol instead of sugar as an alternative.
She used to live with her dog, Ruby, who was 7 years old.One day Kate was out and when she came back she realized that Ruby had stolen 2 of her chocolate brownies. But Kate didn’t pay any attention as the dog was totally fine for the next 2 days.
Things went wrong on the third day when Ruby became violently sick and started vomiting.Kate was too shocked as she didn’t know what happened to her, so she immediately took her to a nearby vet, where she was diagnosed with liver failure and was put on life support.
Ruby was no less than a family member to Kate so she spent £10,000 on treatment in a bid to save her.But unfortunately it was too late and due to liver failure, Ruby died 5 days after being admitted at the hospital.
It was after the death of Ruby that the owner found out what the real reason was of this mishap.
After the tests, doctors informed her that it was the sweetener that proved fatal for her dog.According to Kate, she only made brownies with Xylitol in to reduce the amount of sugar she was eating. While giving an interview, she said, “I had no idea how serious eating natural sweeteners was for dogs, the photos of her on life support still make me cry.
We’ve had her since she was a puppy and I’m completely lost without her.”
Now that Ruby is not with her anymore, she is warning other dog owners too, to be cautious and never let your dogs try the brownies or any sort of sweetener.
While giving a message to others, she added, “I really, really urge other dog owners to read up on the dangers of Xylitol in dogs and urgently take their pets to the vet if they accidentally consume it as it could be the difference between life and death.
I hope no one ever has to face the situation what Kate and her furry friend went through. Please take care of your pets and SHARE this important story with your friends and family members to let them know how harmful Xylitol sweetener can be for the dogs.
Recommended Video – “This Mama Dog Watching Over Her Premature Pups Inside The Incubator Will Bring A Big Smile On Your Face”