A woman woke up from a coma to discover her arms and legs had been amputated after catching an infection from her dog.
Marie Trainer from Ohio had contracted sepsis after her dog licked her. She was hospitalized for 80 days and the rare infection was so severe that she had her arms and legs amputated.
Speaking to TV station Fox 8 Cleveland, Trainer said she remembers going to lie down on a couch as she was feeling sick. She then woke up ten days later and discovered her arms and legs were gone.
“When I opened my eyes I didn’t know where I was,” she explained. “It was very hard to find out that they had to remove my legs and my arms. Very hard to cope with.”
Trainer contracted the severe infection from capnocytophaga bacteria in her pet’s saliva. It is found in the saliva of some cats and many dogs.
She and her husband Matthew had just came back from a Caribbean holiday and thought that she had simply picked up the flu. However, she was suffering from back pain and nausea, and her temperature rose before quickly plummeting.
Trainer received treatment at Aultman Hospital but the infection had taken hold and her condition worsened.
Her stepdaughter, Gina Premier, said: “So we were getting new symptoms and worsening symptoms very rapidly.”
Trainer was placed in a medical coma and legs became necrotic. Doctor Margaret Kobe, Medical Director of Infectious Disease at the hospital, said that capnocytophaga is “fairly common in the oral flora or the mouth of a dog and it can be transmitted through a bite or sometimes just contact with saliva.”
She added: “That organism is very virulent. It has the ability to induce your immune system to do some pretty horrible things.”
Trainer and her family have two pooches and they believe one of them could’ve licked a small wound on her arm.
Dr. Kobe said that this type of condition is very rare and affects one in every million people.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this post with your family and friends!