A young woman ended up fighting for her life after taking part in a dangerous online trend.
20-year-old Briatney Portillo from Florida is a professional stripper and an Only Fans star who recently opened up about the stunt that made her suffer a heart attack.
As the girl revealed in her posts, she swallowed one scoop of pre-workout supplements without diluting the powder in water first after seeing the ‘dry scooping’ trend go viral on social media.
Soon after she ate a spoonful of powder, Portillo’s left arm went numb and she had to be rushed to the ER due to the common heart attack symptom.
“Taking a dry pre-workout scoop bc I saw it trending on TikTok. Ending up in the hospital because I had a heart attack,” the 20-year-old said in one of her TikTok videos.
After the video went viral, some viewers were quick to share their skepticism while others insisted that Briatney is telling the truth because the same thing had happened to them.
While pre-workout powders can greatly improve one’s performance, experts have warned users to consume them in the correct way to avoid dangerous complications.
“After I took the pre-workout, I started to feel tingly and itchy all over my body, which wasn’t a good feeling, but I googled it and it said that was a normal side effect,” the 20-year-old added in an interview with BuzzFeed.
“I started to feel a heavy feeling in my chest and slight pain, but it wasn’t too bad. I thought it was maybe anxiety or a bad panic attack, so I decided to just ignore it and push through my workout.”
Following the workout, the dancer, who was by then feeling nauseous, returned home and took a shower before going to the club where she works. Once in her locker room, however, things got worse and she started feeling very hot all of a sudden.
“I started sweating a lot and was drenched even though I was wearing a bikini. Then my chest pain came back and this time it was more intense,” she added.
“The pain went to my back and to my left arm and my left arm went slightly limp, so I knew those were symptoms of a heart attack. I called 911 and the ambulance came.”
Fortunately, the medics managed to save her life even though they were surprised that someone so young was suffering from a heart attack.
Following the incident, cardiologist Dr. Nicole Harkin spoke to BuzzFeed to warn people against participating in the dry scooping challenge.
“Using a product differently than intended by the manufacturer, such as dry scooping, is rarely a good idea. It’s meant to be diluted, and when you don’t do this, it can have potential serious consequences in the body,” Harkin says.
Meanwhile, cardiologist Dr. Satjit Bhusri explained what happens when a person consumes undiluted workout supplements.
“As pure dry powder, there is no dilution and the fast entry into your bloodstream results in an immediate release of supplements. Of those, it is the incredibly high dose of caffeine that enters the blood very rapidly. This, like ephedrine, causes an abrupt increase in adrenaline and puts the heart in overdrive,” Bhusri said in an interview with Fox News.
“In people who have undiagnosed coronary artery disease, there becomes a supply-demand mismatch for oxygen as the heart is demanding more and more, but due to an undiagnosed blockage, the supply is not there, this leads to a heart attack.”
What are your thoughts on this matter? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to SHARE this post with your family and friends. For more news and stories, follow us on Facebook!