A US man got severe injuries from third-degree burns on his leg after a spare battery for his vaping device exploded in his pocket.
Nader Harb, of Cleveland, Ohio, was preparing for the day at the butcher shop he works at when the LGHG2 battery burst into flames which were in his pocket.
According to his lawsuit filed against the battery maker LG Chem, Harb says he ‘literally fell on the ground, before he could understand that it was his vape.
He rushed to the hospital, where burn specialists treated him for second- and third-degree burns.
Harb said that he thought he wouldn’t survive after the incident, and it was worse than being run over by a car.
‘The pain, I never felt before,’ Harb told WKYC.
‘I mean, I got cut by machines, I got run over by a car, I’ve never seen pain like this.’
Harb filed a lawsuit against LG, the South Korean electronics company that owns the battery provider.
Harb’s experience has highlighted once again the dangers of batteries manufactured without satisfactory regulation.
Earlier this year, a 24-year-old William Brown of Fort Worth, Texas, died when his e-cigarette exploded in his face.
A man using an LG Chem vape was hospitalized for 11 days in May 2017, when his battery exploded and damaged his leg and genitalia.
Harb’s attorney, Tom Merriman, said: ‘This is the wild, wild west these batteries, there’s virtually no regulation, the FDA’s come up with rules focused on the health effects of vaping and the issue of whether teenagers can be vaping, but there is no regulation on the device itself or the batteries.
‘Imagine if this happened in the middle of the night, imagine if he’s asleep or there’s a family with kids, a house full of kids we could be talking about a far more serious tragedy.’