While the makers of this challenge refer to this as an elementary level riddle, it’s stumping the internet in more ways than one.
Most adults cannot figure out the answer because they’re just too busy focusing on the big picture when they’re actually supposed to take a closer look at the finer details.
Remember, most puzzles have the capability to play with our minds because we simply let them. And this just might be one of those wonderful examples.
Sometimes, you may have noticed that some of the simplest math sums turn into a tricky affair. Hence, time and time again, we continue to ask ourselves what went wrong. Hence, the moral of the story, life isn’t as scary as we make it. Remove that fear before you begin and then go on from there!
For now, scroll down below and take a look at the crime-themed mystery that’s sweeping so many people off of their feet!
The mind cracking puzzle
In the image shown below, there are 4 criminals lined up over a series of steps. While they all face in the same direction, there is a wall that manages to separate the 4th individual from the other three criminals.
If you notice closely, all of them are wearing hats, two black and two white. Initially, the men don’t know what color they’re wearing. Hence, they’re instructed to shout out their hat’s color, once they’re certain about the color.
- These men can’t move or turn around
- They can’t speak amongst one another
- They cannot take off their hats at any given point in time
Now, it’s up to you to figure out who is the first individual to shout out loud and why? Yes, it’s tricky but if you put your mind to the test and think outside the box, we’re sure you’ll get it immediately! Good luck!
The correct answer
The right answer is man 2 will be the first to shout out, after some time! This is the reason why:
- Both man 3 and 3 can’t see each other’s hats
- Man 1 sees both black and white hats and knows that his hat can be of either color
- Man 2 sees a black hat but if he’s also wearing a black one, it would be obvious to man 1 that he’s wearing a white one.
- Since Man 1 didn’t shout out his color, man 2 concluded that he’s wearing a white-colored hat.