As disgusting as it may sound, but the fact remains, your urine color can tell a lot about your health.
The odor, consistency, and color can be signs of your lifestyle. Urine is about 95% water as reported by UC San Diego Health. But what matters is what constitutes the remaining 5%.
The complex compounds that include urea, chlorine, sodium, and creatinine give it a yellowish color. Urobilin is a biochemical waste product generated from the decomposition of body’s red blood cells.
Take a look below to know more about your urine color.
Transparent: If you are hydrated more than you need to be, you’ll have a transparent urine color. This should not raise any alarms but over-hydration can cause to dilution of essential salts and might create an imbalance in the blood.
Pale Color: This is the normal color of your urine. It means you are hydrated, normal, and healthy.
Yellow: It is quite similar to the pale color and an indication of your health. You have adequately hydrated, and your abdomen is perfectly fine.
Dark Yellow: This is still within the acceptable limits. It means you are normal but it indicates that you might be a bit dehydrated and need to drink a bit more water.
Amber or Honey: If your urine is honey colored, then it is an indication of dehydration. You must not wait till your urine color tells you to hydrate yourself. Instead, drink a sufficient amount of water every day to keep yourself healthy.
Red: Red color of your urine indicates that something is wrong with you. Blood in urine is called as hematuria. It might be harmless in certain cases but it could also indicate kidney stones, infection or even tumor. See a doctor when this happens.
Blue: It is quite unusual to see a blue colored urine. It can be caused due to certain food dyes or medications. It could also be caused due to blue diaper syndrome which results from the partial breakdown of tryptophan, a dietary nutrient. Consult a physician if you see your urine blue.
Black or Dark Brown: Intake of copper or phenol could lead to black or dark brown urine. It is not a case where you need to worry but consult a doctor if it happens.