An 11-year-old boy from Texas tragically died of suspected hypothermia in his family’s freezing trailer, leaving his loved ones devastated.
Christian Pavon’s heartbroken mother, Maria Piñeda, found him unresponsive under a pile of blankets in their mobile home near Houston.
Sadly, the seemingly healthy boy was pronounced dead from suspected hypothermia, an apparent consequence of the power crisis that left millions of Texans without heat and water amid a record-breaking winter storm.
Christian’s family said that he had no underlying health conditions and they suspect the 11-year-boy died due to the cold.
Police officers spent hours at their home and drew blood from the mother and stepfather for a drug test, a standard procedure when investigating deaths, the Chronicle reported.
“He was fine,” Piñeda told Univision. “I never imagined this. We believe it was the cold because he was fine. He had dinner, played and went to bed. He told me ‘I’m going to sleep.’”
The young boy’s stepfather checked on the children overnight and the kids seemed okay and breathing, the grieving mother said.
But around 2:30 pm the following day, Christian was found unresponsive under a pile of blankets.
Paramedics arrived moments later but the boy couldn’t be revived.
“I’m heartbroken. I had never imagined any of this was going to happen,” Christian’s aunt told ABC13.
Christian is one of more than 30 people to have died in the state since the brutal storm struck.
Among the deaths were a woman whose oxygen machine stopped working because of a power outage, a teen who fell into a frozen pond, and many people who had carbon monoxide poisoning after trying to use ovens and vehicles to heat their homes.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!