Doctors and medical experts have spoken out about the potential dangers of vaping after a growing number of cases involving severe lung damage in youths who vape emerged.
According to Wisconsin’s Department of Health Services, at least 12 people belonging mostly to younger generations had been hospitalized for severe lung damage.
As the department revealed, there are 13 other cases pending investigation besides the 12 cases that have been confirmed.
In all 12 cases, the people hospitalized had to be treated for lung damage presumably caused by vaping.
“It’s mind-boggling. The vast majority of people who smoke started as children or as young teens, and yet you don’t hear about people getting lung cancer until their 40s, 50s, 60s,” Dr. Diana Zuckerman of the National Center for Health Research admitted in an interview with CBS News.
“Think about that compared to what’s happening to these kids now. I’ve never heard of a smoker ending up in the hospital in their teens.”
The alarming reports follow shortly after a Wisconsin vape enthusiast was hospitalized and comatose after purchasing and using a cheap vape cartridge off the street.
As the doctors revealed, the 26-year-old suffered severe organ damage because his vape cartridge included the psychoactive ingredient called Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
“These street vapes are very, very dangerous. My brother nearly lost his life. The trauma that he caused to his lungs is significant, the trauma he caused to his heart is significant. These vapes can cost you your life,” the man’s brother, Patrick DeGrave, said.
In another case, a Florida teenager alleged he suffered collapsed lung because of smoking Juul electronic cigarette.
Speaking to Mail Online, the 18-year-old urged fellow vapers to throw their vapes away and protect their health.
“Seven surgeons came in, and it’s scary when you see seven surgeons come in. You think they’re going to tell you you have like five days to live,” he said.
What are your thoughts on this matter? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to SHARE this post with your family and friends and follow us on Facebook for more news and stories!