A 19-year-old teen was left horrified after trying to bleach her long brown locks with a cheap lightening product.
After deciding it was time for a change, Josie Laro from Grand Forks, North Dakota, purchased SalonCare Prism Lights Bleach for around $4.
It is not clear whether she followed the product’s instructions or not. Most hair dyes require an allergy patch test to be performed 24 hours before using it.
The teen said she had already bleached her hair twice in the past without any problems. She also felt experienced with DIY hair dying.
However, her attempt to go blonde didn’t go smoothly this time. She revealed she realized something was wrong when she felt an intense burning sensation on her scalp 20 minutes after application.
After removing the shower cap to check the color, she was hit with the scent of burning hair.
Josie immediately jumped in the shower to rinse her locks. But as the horrified teen ran her fingers through her hair, large chunks of melted locks fell out of her head and onto the floor.
Her formerly long hair had melted away and left her with uneven and discolored hair.
“I was really just wanting a change. I had gone dark brown in November last year and was getting really bored of it and wanted to go back to blonde,” Josie expressed.
“I had dyed and bleached my hair in the past without any problems. I used the same bleach and developers that I had before. I never expected anything to go wrong.
“I have really long hair, so once I put the bleach in, I put it up into a shower cap to ensure it didn’t make a mess of everything.
“My head started getting really hot about twenty minutes in. I took the cap off to see how light my hair had become.
“Then I could smell my hair burning. I panicked, and realized I needed to get the bleach out straight away.
‘But as I ran my fingers through my hair, clumps started falling out and it just didn’t stop. I kept screaming ‘oh my god, oh no!’. It was really traumatic, and I was freaking out.
“It looked like a huge pile of spaghetti or noodles in the shower. I felt so sick, it was like something from a horror movie.
“All their hair on the back side of my head fell off, but the front was the same, so it was all uneven. I was just in a state of shock. Seeing your hair fall out in front of your eyes is just horrific.”
She added: “My plan now is to leave it alone and just let it grow. I’ll never color or bleach my hair at home again. I’ve definitely learnt my lesson.”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this with your family and friends!