Many people confuse high blood sugar level with diabetes, however, that’s not the case.
Diabetes is a deadly and dangerous condition that occurs when the blood sugar level exceeds a specific limit. If the increased blood sugar level in a person isn’t addressed properly, it ultimately leads to Diabetes.
The only way of eliminating the risk of getting this horrendous disease is to have a sound knowledge of all the symptoms of high blood sugar level. Below, we’ve put together 16 important signs that may give you an indication of an unusual increase in your blood sugar level.
1. Numbness and Tingling: If you are experiencing numbness and tingling in any area of your body, it means your blood sugar level is high.
2. Skin Changes: If your skin starts to decolorize or you start having unusual growths on it then it indicates your blood sugar level is high. You may also experience dark, thick areas of skin forming on your hands and on the back of your neck as well.
3. Nerve Problems: Increased blood sugar level leads to nerve problems since it damages the blood vessels that carry the nutrients and oxygen to the nerves.
4. Excess Abdominal Fat: This is the most common sign of high blood sugar levels. In this case, the food that you are consuming doesn’t get into cells as energy but starts accumulating in the abdomen.
5. Always Hungry: If you have been feeling extremely hungry lately while you do not have a large appetite, it means you are lacking a hormone called incretin. Incretin decreases the flow of sugar from the liver after you have consumed a meal. So, if you lack this hormone, you’ll get hungry again, and it is also an indication of increased blood sugar level.
6. Dry and Itchy Skin: Your skin becomes itchy due to the poor circulation of blood through the body. It is more common to happen in legs as compared to other parts of the body.
7. Thirst: If you have high blood sugar level then your kidneys are working overtime for filtering and absorbing the excess sugar. Consequently, you will be more thirsty as compared to other people.
8.Extreme Tiredness or Constant Fatigue: If you are always feeling tired, depressed or sleepy then there is a good chance of your blood sugar level being high.
9. Stomach Problems: High blood sugar level is also indicated by bloating, abdominal pain, nausea, distention, or vomiting. Moreover, it can also delay the process of emptying the food from your stomach.
10. Slow Healing Wounds: If your bruises and cuts are taking longer than usual to heal, then it is probably caused by high blood sugar levels. The reason behind slow healing of wounds is the poor circulation which makes it difficult for blood – needed for skin repair – to reach the wounded area.
11. Recurrent Infections: Dysfunction of the thyroid, pituitary, and adrenal glands also indicates high blood sugar levels.
12. Impotence: This issue in men is caused by problems created by poor long-term blood sugar control. It damages the blood vessels as well as the nerves and is also a major indication of increased blood sugar levels in men.
13. Dry Mouth: Due to the high blood sugar levels in your saliva and blood, your mouth becomes dry.
14. Difficulty Concentrating: It happens when you are lacking insulin, and so are unable to remove glucose from the bloodstream into the cells. It is also an indication of increased blood sugar level.
15. Blurred Vision: High blood sugar causes the lens in your eyes to swell up thus creating a blurred vision.
16. Urinating During the Night/Excessive Urination: If your blood sugar level is high, you are very likely to be affected by urinary tract infection which results in excessive urinating, especially at night.