Dog owners are left furious after someone dumped raisins in a park.
The dog’s owners, Beth and Dan, have warned others to check their surroundings after their pooch, Aida, was poisoned when they came across a mound of raisins, which are highly toxic to dogs.
The raisins were piled next to a tree and were picked up by Aida who immediately munched down the dried fruit.
“On the morning it happened, Dan caught up quickly with Aida and steered her and our springer spaniel Isla away from the tree,” Beth said.
“Aida seemed okay after but at 2am the next morning I was woken up by her being really badly sick. It was an awful sound. You could tell she was in real pain.”
Beth continued: “Raisins were very visible and we did some Google searching and realised then that we needed help urgently. You just would never know that something as apparently innocuous as raisins could be such a threat to your pet’s life. It’s really horrifying.”
She immediately called Vets Now pet emergency clinic where staff sedated Aida, administered charcoal tablets, and put the pooch on a drip.
“It was totally dark and we were doing it by torchlight – but we just didn’t want anyone else’s dog to suffer,” Beth expressed.
“Aida is the kindest, most loving and good-natured dog you could ever meet and how anyone could intentionally try to cause harm like this is impossible to understand.
“There’s just no credible explanation for five big bags of raisins at the foot of a tree in a dog-run section of the park other than someone trying to hurt dogs. Luckily, they didn’t succeed.
“But we’ve reported this to the police and we’ve since found out from other dog owners in the area that someone has previously put poisoned sausages down in the park. Who could be that nasty?”
The senior emergency vet at Vets Now, Dave Hollinshead, said: “It’s worth highlighting that ingesting just one raisin can be potentially serious for dogs so her owners did the right thing in getting urgent help and cleaning up the hazard.
“It’s horrendous to think someone might have done this deliberately and we’re so pleased to hear Aida’s made a full recovery.”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!
Recommended Video For You!
“Cute Toddler Helps Feed Three Obedient Dogs”