A 13-year-old schoolboy tragically passed away following a severe allergic reaction he suffered after a fellow pupil threw a piece of cheese at him.
As 53-year-old Rina Cheema shared, her son, Karanbir Cheema, was suffering from allergies to wheat, nuts, dairy, and gluten. He was also diagnosed with asthma and eczema.
Despite his severe condition, however, William Perkin Church of England High School did little to ensure her son’s safety, Ms. Cheema believes.
According to the grieving mother, Karanbir fell incredibly ill after a fellow classmate flicked a piece of cheese at him. The allergic reaction led the 13-year-old to brain damage and cardiac arrest and the mother was forced to make a tough decision to cut off her son’s life support.
“(My son’s death is) something that’s going to haunt me for the rest of my life” Rina said, explaining that she’s been “living in a black hole” ever since her son’s passing.
In an interview with BBC, the upset mum revealed how the school should have done more to protect her son.
“I sent him to a place where I thought he’d be safe only to find out nobody knew what they were doing. If they knew that allergies cause problems – it’s no problem giving an EpiPen,” she said.
“They could have given him an EpiPen. Or even dialed 999 straight away. He would be here with me today.”
Following the investigation into the child’s death, Coroner Mary Hassell concluded that “all of the evidence points to the cheese being responsible for Karanbir’s death” and that the student who threw the cheese at the boy didn’t mean any harm.
Nevertheless, Hassell claimed that the healthcare the school provided was inadequate and stated that neither the staff nor the children were properly educated about allergies and potential “grave consequences” of allergic reactions.
What are your thoughts on this incident? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to SHARE this post with your family and friends and follow us on Facebook for more news and stories!