A dog owner whose Golden Retriever died after eating toy rope is now sharing her story to warn others.
In a heartbreaking post on Vizsla Dog Lovers Facebook group, Indria Tuckler wrote: “I purchased several rope toy balls for my dogs at Home Goods.
“They looked extremely sturdy and impossible to destroy.
“However, I found them in pieces the same day. I quickly threw them away, hoping none of the dogs swallowed the pieces.”
Unfortunately, her pup named Sam had swallowed a section of the rope.
After gulping it down, the 14-month-old Golden Retriever developed symptoms such as lack of appetite, drinking a lot of water, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Though they seem like usual canine ailments, they proved extremely hazardous in Sam’s case.
“The ball unraveled and tore several holes in her intestines as she tried to pass it,” Tuckler explained. “They removed three feet of rope that was entangled in her intestines.
“They also removed 14 inches of perforated intestines.
“The damage from the rope was so extensive that she passed away two days later. We did not even have the option of having another surgery.”
The owner shared her story in hopes of warning others about the dangers of rope toys. But it seems she is not the only one raising awareness about the issue.
Veterinary clinic Village Vet of Urbana also pointed out the problems with rope toys on its blog.
“If your dog loves to disembowel stuffed animals and decimate Frisbees, he isn’t just ripping these toys apart — he’s eating a portion of them,” the clinic explained.
“Swallowing strands of rope is much more dangerous than eating chunks of rubber, plastic, or cotton stuffing,” they added in the blog.
“Vets describe these strands as ‘linear foreign bodies,’ which are the most harmful objects an animal can swallow.”
By sharing her story, Tuckler hopes to help others avoid a similar case. “I believe there is power in numbers, and if we can share Sam’s story, maybe we can save a dog’s life,” she said.
Recommended Video – “This Mama Dog Watching Over Her Premature Pups Inside The Incubator Will Bring A Big Smile On Your Face”