After a man swallowed the needle in a strawberry, consumers are being urged to throw out strawberries purchased over the past week in Queensland, New South Wales, and Victoria.
A man was rushed to the emergency room after swallowing a sewing pin deliberately planted in multiple packets of strawberries.
Police found needles in at least three punnets of strawberries that were supplied to Woolworths from a southeast Queensland farm.
Now, Health officials and police urging people not to eat strawberries purchased over the past week in Queensland, New South Wales, and Victoria.
Joshua Gane was driving with his friend, Haoni van Dorp, who swallowed the needle, on Sunday afternoon, when they went into the Strathpine Centre Woolworths, about 20 km north of Brisbane.
Dorp says he bit into one and swallowed half of a sewing needle, before finding out another. He was rushed to the emergency room with ‘severe abdomen pain’.
Gane posted a picture that shows a metal pin poking out of a strawberry on Facebook.
It is believed the needles may have been deliberately planted to cause harm.
Queensland’s Chief Health Officer Dr. Jeannette Young said:
‘While it is expected that berries picked early last week would now not be useable, many people freeze the fruit for later use,’
‘If you are in doubt, just throw them out. Any strawberries that you are certain are not the brands Berry Licious and Berry Obsession, are safe.’
‘If you believe you have eaten a needle, we would recommend you speak to your doctor or call 13 HEALTH. There is no reason to stop eating strawberries, we just need to be aware of this incident.’
“Recommended Video – Customer Stops Fast-food Robbery By Shooting The Criminal Through The Drive-thru Window”