A heartbroken mother has spoken out and urged parents to vaccinate their children after her two-year-old daughter died amid measles outbreak after contracting the disease from an unvaccinated child.
Grief-stricken Dragana Petrovic from Serbia shared distressing pictures of her daughter’s final moments on a Facebook page called Light for Riley in order to encourage other parents to vaccinate their kids.
According to Dragana, her daughter, Nadja, contracted the deadly disease from a young unvaccinated child while the two were staying in the same room in a hospital in Serbia.
As Dragana explained, her daughter couldn’t be vaccinated for measles due to suffering from a non-life threatening autoimmune syndrome.
Her death, and the deaths of thousands of other children, however, could be prevented if people vaccinated their children as common sense suggests.
“We often stayed in the hospital because simply oral therapy could not raise the level of calcium, which was extremely low,” Dragana wrote in a post for the Light for Riley page. “We hoped that the collective immunity would protect her in the course of an epidemic.”
Nevertheless, the young mom’s world came crashing down after she discovered that her daughter came into contact with the infected child and contracted measles.
“At the moment, my world collapsed, I knew that she would get it, but again in the depths of the soul, I hoped she will not.
“On the same day in the evening, Nadja drowned in a dream from which she never woke up again. She did not eat, did not drink, she did not wake up, she did not respond.
“She was getting worse every day, her needs for oxygen were bigger, and we received confirmation that she was contaminated with measles,” Dragana said.
After getting admitted to intensive care, Nadja’s condition continued to worsen until she developed “sepsis with two different bacteria.”
In the following day, the 2-year-old girl suffered a “heart failure, and besides all the measures taken, Nadja received her angel wings at 18.30.”
According to Dragana, every child deserves to be vaccinated and protected from infectious diseases if possible.
“Now it’s up to us to share her story so that nobody suffers as she did. My angel left me too early, but I will fight so no one forgets her and goes through what I went through,” the grieving mother wrote.
What are your thoughts on this incident? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to SHARE this post on Facebook to raise awareness of the need to vaccinate children!
“Brave boy, 4, is told he is cancer-free and can go home”