A woman opened up about the time she was rushed to the hospital after being electrocuted while vacuuming her lawn.
36-year-old Kerry Tattersley from Halifax, England, was vacuum-cleaning her artificial lawn when she was in for a shock of her life.
As the young lady revealed, she was already done with her chore when she decided to unplug the extension lead only to unknowingly touch a live cord.
After being jolted to her core, Kerry began experiencing various complications including tingling sensation, uncontrollable shaking, and shortness of breath.
“I was in my garden vacuuming my artificial grass and my extension lead was plugged in too. I had finished vacuuming the grass and went to unplug the extension and the back plastic bit must have been loose,” the support worker explained.
“I didn’t know, and I grabbed it and it fell off while I had hold of the plug and I got electrocuted and I got flung back into my wall.”
She continued: “The pain was like a dull ache and a massive tingle through my body and it was like electricity going through my arms.
“I was running up and down my kitchen. My arms were shaking, but I couldn’t stop them from shaking either. It was like I had no control over them. It was like an eight out of 10 pain.”
As Kerry admitted, she didn’t want to call for an ambulance right away. After she started running out of breath, however, she made the emergency call and was instructed what to do while waiting for the ambulance to arrive.
Once the paramedics arrived at the scene, it was found that Kerry had an elevated heart rate and different temperatures in her hands.
“They then said I needed to go to the hospital because my pulse was fast and my heart rate was a little high and my hands are two different temperatures,” she added.
After arriving at Calderdale Royal Hospital, Kerry was told that she was left with minor nerve damage in her arm. Doctors also told her she could have lost her life if not for her rubber slippers which acted as an insulator and blocked the current from passing through her body into the ground.
“The doctor asked what had happened then he explained about what happens when you get a nasty shock. He then said: ‘Are those what you were wearing at the time?’ I said ‘yes,’ and he said: ‘well you’re lucky because they probably saved your life.’ I was shocked, literally,” Kerry says.
While the young lady is already feeling much better, she admitted her right arm is still “very weak” from the incident.
What are your thoughts on this matter? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to SHARE this post with your family and friends. For more news and stories, follow us on Facebook!