A Mars Wrigley factory has been fined after two employees fell into a huge chocolate tank and almost drowned.
Last June, two workers were doing maintenance work when they stumbled into the partially filled chocolate tank.
More than two dozen rescue responders rushed to the scene and managed to free the workers by cutting a hole in the bottom of the vat.
Both workers were airlifted to hospitals, officials said.
According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the workers were not authorized to work in the tanks and were not properly trained on safety procedures for the equipment.
The batching tank was reportedly used for mixing ingredients for Dove chocolate, which is sold as Galaxy in the UK.
The factory has been fined more than $14,500.
According to the regulator’s report: “The employer did not furnish employment and a place of employment which were free from recognized hazards that were causing or likely to cause death or serious physical harm to employees.
“An employee participated in the control of hazardous energy for the Dove chocolate batching 20 micron tank.
“The employer did not ensure that the employee had the knowledge of the type and magnitude of the energy for the task.”
It continued: “Employees of an outside employer, I.K. Stoltzfus Service Corp., cleaned tanks, including the Dove chocolate batching 20 micron tank, owned by the onsite/host employer, Mars Wrigley.”
A representative for Mars Wrigley said in a statement: “The safety of our associates and outside contractors is a top priority for our business.
“As always, we appreciate [the Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s] collaborative approach to working with us to conduct the after-action review.”
In addition to Dove, the company also makes much-loved brands of confectionary such as Snickers, Twix, and M&M’s.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!