A 40-year-old man who went for a swim was left a cockroach burrowed inside his left ear and stayed there for several days.
Zane Wedding had taken a swim at their local pool in Auckland, New Zealand when the creature went inside his ear.
When he returned home, he had a feeling that his left ear was blocked.
Speaking to CNN, Wedding said: “I used some drops to clear it up and fell asleep on the couch later that night.
“When I woke up in the morning and it was still blocked I went straight to the doctor. I was waiting for the doctor (surgery) to open up, it was that infuriating.”
Wedding was advised by the doctor to use a hairdryer at home to try the block water out but he knew something wasn’t right.
“I left the doctor with no relief at all. I spent most of the weekend laying on my side or jamming a hairdryer in my ear. When I had to walk around I would instantly be dizzy. When I would lay down, I could hear the water moving around my ear drum,” he continued.
“Over the weekend I tried anything I could for relief — ear candles, jumping on one leg, chewing gum, I went for a run — just anything I could think of (to) get the ear to clear.”
The wriggling sensation stopped on Sunday night but his ear was still blocked, so he decided to see an ear, nose and throat specialist.
When the doctor checked his ear, she said: “Oh my god, I think you have an insect in your ear.”
“In that moment I realized every movement I’d felt over the weekend was the cockroach moving around in my ear,” Wedding expressed.
“I instantly thought of the fact I had just been pumping hot air into my head and cooking a cockroach in my ear canal all weekend. It made me feel sick.”
It took less than five minutes for the doctor to remove the dead cockroach.
“Every time she touched it I just imagined her squishing a cockroach into my eardrum, so I wasn’t the perfect patient. It was instant relief… I felt a pop as soon as the doctor pulled it away,” he said.
“Once I knew it was a bug it all clicked together… That’s why the water would move even when I was still. It was a cockroach moving in my head.”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!