Ben Stiller, 58, has no plans to apologize for the controversial film Tropic Thunder, which was slammed by viewers for numerous reasons.
For years, fans of the movie have been taking to social media to defend the satirical action comedy film.
Stiller, who was also the director of the movie, said that he is ‘proud’ of the film as he shared his views on the backlash.
Replying to a fan who wrote: “Please stop apologizing for doing this movie.
It was and still is funny AF.Even funnier now with cancel culture the way it is. It’s a MOVIE. Ya’ll can just get over it. I was DYING laughing when I first saw it back in the day and so was everyone else,” the actor wrote: “I make no apologies for Tropic Thunder.
Stiller added: “Don’t know who told you that. It’s always been a controversial movie since when we opened. Proud of it and the work everyone did on it.”
The fan reposted an old tweet from Stiller, replying to another social media user who joked that the film should be ‘boycotted.’
The Zoolander actor said at that time: “Actually Tropic Thunder was boycotted 10 years ago when it came out, and I apologized then. It was always meant to make fun of actors trying to do anything to win awards.
“I stand by my apology, the movie, Shaun White, And the great people and work of the @SpecialOlympics.”
The fan who shared the discussion then wrote: “I’m guessing people saw this…. and took it, misconstrued it, and ran with it. That movie is a classic to this day. I stand with you bro.”
In an interview with Joe Rogan three years ago, Robert Downey Jr said about the film: “[Ben] knew exactly what the vision for this was, he executed it, it was impossible to not have it be an offensive nightmare of a movie.
“And 90 percent of my Black friends were like, ‘Dude, that was great.’ I can’t disagree with [the other 10 percent], but I know where my heart lies.”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!