Tragic reports have gone on to reveal how a 2-year-old boy ended up in a coma after drinking the scented liquid present inside an air freshener.
According to local media reports, 2-year-old Riley Heart managed to pull apart the refill bottle of the Air Wick life scents with ease and then started to chug it down without giving it a second thought.
At that time, his mother Kerry Hobbs had turned around for just a few seconds, and little did she know what her son was capable of.
Within an instant, the child started to suffer from a series of breathing complications. And that’s when the mother felt the time had come to rush him to the hospital on an emergency basis.
By that time, the victim’s father had called up an ambulance that transferred the child to the Derriford Hospital. But soon after that, he was again transferred to the Bristol Children’s Hospital.
It has been five days since the incident took place but the child continues to be in a medically induced coma.
Now, Riley’s parents are sharing his story to make other parents with young children aware of how dangerous these air fresheners can end up being.
“We nearly lost our entire world and we don’t want something like this to happen to anyone else. And that’s why we’re sharing his story. Please spread the word”- the parents appealed in an emotional tone.
Many people, including Riley’s own parents, feel the time has come for these products to be banned as they’re capable of taking innocent lives.
Riley’s father has described his son as a tiny fighter and hopes he comes back stronger than ever.
“I knew my brave son would full through this all because he is a true fighter. But this is all just so, so scary”- he continued.