The grieving family of a 25-year-old professional dancer who died after eating mislabeled cookies have spoken out.
Orla Baxendale passed away on January 11 after eating a Vanilla Florentine cookie from Stew Leonard’s supermarket.
The product, which contained undisclosed peanuts, triggered a serious allergic reaction that led to anaphylactic shock, a law firm representing her family confirmed.
The legal team representing the dancer’s estate has said that legal action is being taken over the case, which they have described as ‘preventable’ and ‘absolutely tragic.’
Orla’s devastated siblings have also spoken out about their sister’s passing.
In a heartbreaking post on Instagram, Orla’s sister, Niamh, wrote: “It’s so heartbreaking that allergies can still take lives in 2024.”
She continued: “Órla was so careful and it wasn’t enough to keep her with us, she was taken far too soon by a severe allergic reaction to a food product.”
Niam also urged others to educate themselves on anaphylaxis as she asked for donations to be made to the charity Allergy UK.
“Mislabeling food can kill,” she continued. “Goodbye my tiny dancer, I love you.”
Orla’s other sibling, Ciara, also paid a heartfelt tribute and wrote: “Órla was radiant, a dreamer.
“I am so honored to say that this girl is my sister, she was just so cherished by everyone. She aimed for the stars and truly deeply lived for her dreams every day of her life.
“I’ll never stop talking about my Órla. I felt like she was my twin, my little sidekick. She used to always joke and say that she was my mini me, but there is no one like Órla. She was so unique and special, there never was anyone like her and there never will be.”
Ciara added: “If you met her, you are lucky, she was just such a warm and golden soul, she’s left a trail of light behind her and she will never be forgotten.”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!