A mom from Wales says her family vacation was ruined after a beauty treatment left her with ‘Angry Birds’ eyebrows.
Colline Rees, from Llanelli, South Wales, acquired the services of Get Nailed salon a day before she and her family were to fly out to Tenerife on a 7 days’ trip, costing around $3,650 (£3,000).
Rees had hoped to get a facial treatment so as to make her holiday even more special. But the woman says she was ‘devastated’ after the beautician left her with the botched brows.
The 37-year-old says she was so embarrassed that she didn’t even pose in family snaps with her husband Julian and sons Ashton, 12, Morgan, 15, and Bailey, 18.
She also couldn’t enjoy swimming with her family as she wasn’t allowed to wet her eyebrows.
‘I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry,’ Rees said. ‘All my close friends and family were saying I look like something out of the Angry Birds game.
‘We had been really looking forward to it because we always just go on holiday in Wales. We were so excited to be able to fly somewhere new.
‘If someone else looked like that, you’d do a double take. I was devastated, it stopped me from enjoying the holiday.
‘I tried to do my best for the children to put on a brave face but I had to sit back and let everyone else have fun without me.
‘We have to work hard to go on holiday and it was just destroyed.’
What made the incident even more disturbing for her is the fact that she suffered from alopecia in her teen years, and the effects of the disease are still there.
So, it takes quite a time for her hair to grow.
Rees is a regular at Get Nailed salon. She says the person who usually treats her at the salon was busy that day so a young trainee did them.
However, Rees was left devastated after she looked in the mirror during her treatment and found that a major part of her left eyebrow wasn’t there.
‘I was mortified, absolutely horrified,’ she said. ‘I said to the girl ‘Are you kidding me, is this a joke?’
According to Rees, the trainee told her that she was sorry. ‘I was in hysteria, crying “Is anyone going to fix this?”‘ the woman added.
It was when another beautician came to fix the mistake. The worker told Rees that applying tint to the waxed eyebrow could help and she agreed.
However, when she looked up again in the mirror, the only thing she could see was two thick black slugs drawn in place of her brows.
The woman started crying before leaving the salon in utter hopelessness.
After making to her car, she desperately tried to wipe the dye but it was too late. The tint had dried, leaving her with monstrously freakish eyebrows.
As if it wasn’t enough, her face also swelled due to an allergic reaction.
Having no other option left, she took to Facebook to beg her friends for some help in fixing her look.
‘I’m known for being happy-go-lucky and always joking and doing pranks, but I didn’t know what else to do,’ she wrote in a post.
Thankfully, one of her friends, who happened to be a make-up artist, showed up to her home.
She taught Rees how to draw round the dye so that her eyebrows don’t look as disastrous as they originally were.
Even her electrician husband Julian learned the procedure from the artist so that he could help Rees with it during their vacation.
‘I’ll never go to a salon to get my eyebrows done again,’ Rees added.