A heartbroken mum has spoken out to warn parents about a dangerous household object that resulted in her young son’s death.
As 29-year-old Ayla Rutherford from Graham, Washington, revealed, her 4-year-old son Axel passed away after accidentally inhaling a sharp thumbtack.
According to the grieving mum, the “freak accident” happened last month while she was in the shower.
When she heard her family members screaming, she rushed outside and found her husband performing the Heimlich maneuver on their son who turned blue.While the couple initially thought Axel was choking, they later discovered his condition was even more severe.
After the little boy was rushed to the hospital, the doctors found out he hadn’t been choking. As they revealed, Axel accidentally inhaled a small push pin that punctured his left lung and left him incapable of breathing.
While the doctors managed to save the young boy’s life in the short term, Alex tragically passed away after being on life support for one week.
Following the 4-year-old’s death, Ayla issued a dire warning to prevent the same thing from happening to other families as well.
“This was freak accident. All I want to do is prevent other people going through what we have to go through,” the heartbroken mum expressed.
“I want to let people know that [thumb tacks are] such a normal thing to have in your house – to hang up posters, picture frames, Christmas lights, calendars.
“Everybody uses them and all it takes is for one little kid to pick it up, put it in their mouth, inhale it and puncture their lungs. If you have pins around the house, throw them out or lock them up. It’s not worth your child’s life or the pain.
“Me and my husband held Axel as he passed away. He was four years, one month and four days old. I don’t want anybody to have to go through this.”
Our thoughts are with the family during these tough times.
What are your thoughts on this story? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to SHARE this post with your family and friends. For more news and stories, follow us on Facebook!