A mother has shared a dire warning after her teenage daughter passed away unexpectedly.
Maria Morgan from Wales, UK, is a grieving mother who lost her daughter at the age of 19 almost ten years ago.
While paying tribute to her beloved child, the mother has spoken out about her family’s ordeal and her daughter’s sudden death in an attempt to warn others about the dangers associated with a seemingly innocent snack.
As Morgan explained, her 19-year-old daughter, Samantha Jenkins, ended up in an induced coma after collapsing all of a sudden back in June 2011.
Days after her emergency trip to the hospital, the girl passed away, whereas an autopsy revealed that five lumps of chewing gum were stuck in her stomach. According to the coroner, chewing gum likely played a role in Samantha’s sudden collapse and premature death.
“I remember it like it was yesterday. I was making tea in the kitchen and there was just normal banter around the table. She continued to say she didn’t feel well. I said, ‘You have been out in the sun, come and drink some water, it’s been boiling today, you’re probably just a bit dehydrated,’” the mother said.
“I told her to go and have a lay on the bed and take a bottle of water with her as she probably had too much sun. Then I heard this thud.
“Me and my other daughter got up and went to the door and I said, ‘What the hell was that?’ And she shouted downstairs, ‘Is this what it’s like to die?’ and then we heard a thud again.”
After suffering a fit, Samantha was rushed to the hospital and placed in an induced coma. Several days later, she died, whereas the doctors suggested she was poisoned by something.
“She never came back. We were basically told as far as they could see that something had poisoned her. It was just about trying to fathom out what it was so they could possibly save her,” Morgan added.
“One day, my other daughter mentioned that Samantha used to chew chewing gum, so I mentioned that to the coroner’s office because she did use to chew gum a lot.”
After inspecting her daughter’s room, the mother found a series of empty chewing gum boxes and wrappers which suggested her daughter had been a big fan of chewing gums.
“The coroner wouldn’t put down that it was definitely from chewing gum, but aided from chewing gum. Ten years on there are so many ‘whys’ for me, but the biggest why is why on earth have I lost my daughter to chewing gum? I mean chewing gum, come on, it’s ridiculous,” Morgan expressed.
What are your thoughts on this incident? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to SHARE this post with your family and friends. For more news and stories, follow us on Facebook!