24-year-old Bethan Gaskin chocked to death during a party after trying to see how many Jaffa Cakes she could stuff in her mouth.
The mother of one suddenly blacked out and stopped breathing when the cakes got stuck in her throat as she tried to spit them all out.
Bethan collapsed at home and was immediately taken to hospital. She passed away five days later at Peterborough City Hospital.
Her mother, 52-year-old Michele, warned people of the risks of food challenges.
“I remember raising my eyebrows when Bethan started the game, thinking ‘how old are you?’ and telling her to spit them out,” she expressed.
“She was like a little hamster with her cheeks bulging. She danced off to the toilet to get rid of them and it was only a while later we realised she had been gone a long time.”
A friend then went to check on the 24-year-old and found her unconscious on the bathroom floor.
“In my heart I knew we had lost her before they put her into the ambulance. Too much time was passing,” Michele said.
Bethan was in hospital for five days before doctors revealed the extent of the brain damage. The family said their goodbyes to the cheerful mother on February 27.
“She looked perfect and so beautiful. It was just like she was sleeping,” Michele said. “So many people have said they play a similar game with marshmallows. Even my 90-year-old aunt said she does it with Maltesers.
“This just shows how fragile we are.”
Bethan’s parents and her 20-year-old brother had to break the news to her 3-year-old daughter Lili.
“I just told her that mummy was very sick and the doctors couldn’t make her better so she has died and we can’t see her again,” Michele shared.
“We talk about Bethan with Lili and she has asked a few times when we are going to mummy’s.”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this with your family and friends to warn them about the dangers of food challenges!
“How To Bake A Delicious Triple-chocolate Cheesecake With No Oven”