A seven-weeks-old baby spent six days at the hospital after falling critically ill after a deadly kiss.
Daniel Faulds contracted a deadly infection ‘from a kiss’ and spent six days at the hospital.
Daniel’s mother Jacqui Dunlop told her son developed a high fever and breathing difficulties and a doctor was called and he diagnosed him with infant reflux.
However, when the mother noticed her son’s stiff neck who was also having difficulty breathing, she knew something was not right.
The 23-year-old mother said: “He just hadn’t settled all night and was crying constantly. His temperature was 38.2 and wasn’t coming down.”
“Then he started making grunting noises with every breath and his neck was stiff and then flopping back. I knew something was very wrong. I told my mum ‘I need to take him to the doctor.”
She took him to her GP who immediately called 999.
Jacqui told Daniel was screaming in the doctor’s surgery and then vomited. He was rushed to the Crosshouse Hospital.
The parents were then told he had meningitis.
Jacqui was left terrified after the incident. She has now warned parents to stop kissing their babies.
She said: “To think something as simple as a kiss could have killed him is just so scary. People need to stop kissing other people’s babies.”
She was told by the doctors the adults who carry around bacteria and viruses can pass on the virus to the person who they kiss, hold, or cough.
She said babies’ tiny bodies and brand new immune systems cannot cope with bacteria and virus and people need to stop touching and kissing a baby.
She said only she knows how serious it was and they were so scared.
After spending six days at the hospital, Daniel is now at home and still recovering.
[rumble video_id=vo633 domain_id=u7nb2]