A mother was left looking like ‘Sloth from The Goonies’ after she suffered a severe allergic reaction to a popular beauty treatment.
32-year-old Emily Price’s face ballooned in size and her forehead ‘curled over’ into her eyes after she applied an eyebrow tint.
The mother-of-one from Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales, said that she was left with crusty-looking and red brows after she visited a salon on September 13.
Emily was initially delighted with the results. But one hour later, she started to feel a tingling sensation on her eyebrows.
When she woke up and couldn’t properly open her eyes anymore, she immediately became concerned. She was left even more horrified when her husband jumped out of their bed holding a mirror so she could see what happened to her face.
The 32-year-old called her GP’s surgery but could not get a face-to-face appointment because of the pandemic so she was only forced to describe her symptoms over the phone.
Writer Emily’s face continued to balloon for the next few days so she went to A&E where staff prescribed her with strong antibiotics.
“An hour after I had them done I kept frowning and I realised it was tingling, like pins and needles,” Emily said. “As the hours went on it started to feel like when you burn yourself on a hot pan and you pull your hand away quickly.
“It was like that but it was as if I couldn’t pull away from it, it was just burning hot like there was a poker across my eyebrows.”
She continued: “I went to sleep and when I woke up there was a moment of panic as I couldn’t open my eyes properly, they were just slits.
“My husband was next to me, he turned the light on and looked at me and he was like ‘oh my god what’s happened to your face?
“He ran and got a mirror, I could barely even see myself because my eyes were so swollen and I noticed that close, underneath the eyebrows, it had gone yellow.
“Days later I ended up going into hospital because it got worse. I looked like Sloth from The Goonies.”
Now healed, the mother-of-one is sharing her story to make sure that no one goes through what she has experienced and encourages others to always carry out patch tests.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!