When Emma Reavley’s daughter developed red spots on the back, she thought it was only chicken pox as her other child just had it three weeks earlier.
The mother-of-eight thought nothing about the marks until the spots started to spread rapidly across little Emily’s body.
The next day, the 2-year-old’s entire body was covered with red spots that had already spread inside her mouth and throat.
Emma and her 39-year-old husband, Shaun, rushed Emily to the Urgent Care Centre where doctors sent her home with chickenpox medication and antibiotic cream.
The 2-year-old girl’s temperature jumped to 39C after a few hours so her worried parents took her to Watford General Hospital after ruling out Scarlet fever and measles.
Doctors diagnosed Emily with the ‘most severe case’ of hand, foot and mouth disease. They told the parents it was already the third case they had seen that same day.
The little girl was sent home but had to be quarantined for two weeks because of the highly contagious nature of her condition.
Emma is now sharing the images of her daughter’s blistered body and face to warn other parents of how dangerous the disease can be.
“Emily started getting a few spots on her neck and I thought it was chickenpox,” Emma said. “It was just a few at first but it was like they were literally appearing before my eyes.
“I was looking at them and thinking they’re not chickenpox. Having so many children, I know what they look like.
“As the day went on, the worse they were getting. Her whole body was covered and she had them in her mouth and down her throat.
“At the hospital, the doctors said it was the worst case of HFMD they’d ever seen.”
Emily managed to go back to herself within a week but it took six long weeks for the blisters to clear completely.
“I knew it could be so extreme,” the mother-of-eight expressed. “More people need to be aware.
“It’s not just a case of a few spots on their hands, feet and mouth. Emily was particularly unlucky but it can spread and be so serious.
“I would tell any parent whose child has HFMD to follow doctors orders and keep them quarantined for two weeks because it is so contagious and it’s airborne.
“If you just take them to the park or for a walk around the block, they can pass it to another child without even touching them.
“That’s so unfair on that child and their parents who then need to experience it. It really has been horrible.”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this post with your family and friends!