A young mother from Manchester, England, has nearly passed away weeks after giving birth because her own placenta poisoned her.
21-year-old Katie Shirley is lucky to be alive after suffering a stroke just weeks after getting over with her pregnancy.
According to the young mother, the doctors told her she contracted a life-threatening infection caused by bacteria in her placenta during pregnancy.
As per the reports, the bacteria spread throughout her body by entering her bloodstream. Then, it caused Katie to develop a brain aneurysm that led to a stroke.
Following 7 weeks after giving birth to baby girl Olivia, Katie collapsed on the floor and was taken to the ER. Fortunately, the doctors were able to relieve the pressure in the mum’s brain and treat the infection that caused it.
“I’m so lucky to be alive after developing a brain aneurysm. I was officially diagnosed with a postpartum subarachnoid hemorrhage after I’d recovered from my ordeal two weeks later,” Katie said.
“I had a normal pregnancy apart from having anemia but when I got to 36 weeks I started bleeding heavily. My mum Caroline was at my side constantly and thankfully doctors realized I needed an emergency C-section as my baby was in danger.
“Olivia was born two-and-a-half weeks early on December 7, 2018, and she was treated for an infection as my placenta had already decayed. If we’d waited a few days later she might not have made it as they had no idea how she was even getting any nutrients from placenta.”
Soon after giving birth, the mother also realized something was terribly wrong with her own body.
“I remember feeling as though I was going to have a panic attack, my heart was racing and I felt all of my sense heightening. It was terrifying but before I knew it the room had gone black and I was unconscious,” she added.
“After this doctors finally realized something sinister was going on, I’m just so thankful to my mum as at one point, after my first seizure, I was being advised to go home before we pushed for the first CT scan which showed the aneurysm.
“I had life-saving brain surgery to insert an aneurysm coil on January 28 to stop it from bleeding and I have been fine ever since.”
What are your thoughts on this story? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to SHARE this post with your family and friends and follow us on Facebook for more news and stories!
Recommended Video For You!
Emotional Boy Preciously Holds Rainbow Baby Brother