A mother was left hospitalized after forgetting to remove her tampon for several days.
24-year-old Amy Williams is a mother-of-one from Essex, UK, who nearly died of toxic shock syndrome after leaving a tampon inside her for five days.
As the young mom who works as a personal assistant explained, she accidentally left her tampon inside her for several days, causing the sanitary item to turn black and result in a toxic shock syndrome which could have led to sepsis and organ failure.
“I’d been using tampons for 10 years, but I’ll never use one again now. I want to warn women and young girls to be extra careful when using them,” Williams said.
According to the personal assistant, the incident happened back in June when she was on a night out together with her partner Samuel Mullen.
As the 24-year-old attempted to change her tampon in the comfort room, she allegedly couldn’t locate the string, prompting her to believe that she had already removed the tampon earlier.
“I was really drunk at the time and couldn’t remember if I already had one in. Plus, I couldn’t locate it,” Williams admitted.
Five days after applying another tampon, the mother knew something was wrong after her private area started producing a strong odor.
“It smelt like death and it wasn’t normal. So I got in the shower to wash, but the smell was still there after I got out and dried myself,” she said.
“I laid down on the bed and checked inside myself. I felt something with my fingernail and it dawned on me that there was a tampon inside me. I was mortified.”
As Williams explained, it took her about thirty minutes to remove the black, rotting tampon from her body.
Two days later, the 24-year-old started feeling nauseous and eventually developed a fever and started vomiting.
After being rushed to the emergency room, Williams went into septic shock whereas her organs started giving up.
“They rushed me to a ward and hooked me up to an antibiotic drip while they took blood tests. I’d told staff I’d left a tampon in for five days and they looked worried. I was then informed that my CPR levels were 264, the normal amount was five,” Williams recalled.
“The doctor said to me that if I’d had gone home that day, I wouldn’t have woken up. I was terrified. I cried to the nurse and asked her if I’d ever see my three-year-old son Archie again. She reassured me I was in good hands.”
In the days after she was diagnosed with toxic shock syndrome, Williams was slipping in and out of consciousness while her body was fighting blood poisoning.
After spending one week under constant care, the mother was discharged from the hospital. For the following ten days, she continued her recovery at home.
While the mother has recovered from toxic shock syndrome, she is reportedly still experiencing irregular, heavy periods as a result.
“I couldn’t believe a tampon nearly killed me. I’ll never use one again and now only use sanitary towels. Please, be careful when using tampons. It nearly cost me my life,” Williams concluded.
Recommended Video For You!
Sons Surprise Ailing Mother For Her Birthday