A mother-of-four was rushed to a hospital after suffering a severe reaction to hair dye – which left her eyes swollen shut and her scalp covered in blisters.
27-year-old Leonie Dee tried to dye her hair in two different hues using Schwarzkopf Live ‘Ultra Violet’ and ‘Cosmic Blue.’
Before applying the products to her hair, she carried out a patch test to make sure that she wouldn’t react negatively to them.
However, Leonie was left hospitalized for more than 36 hours after applying the dark blue dye to the top half of her hair.
“It was really scary – at one point they were worried that the swelling might move to the front of my throat. I even asked them at the hospital whether it shaving all my hair off would help. I was ready to do that if it would have made a difference.
“But the dye had already absorbed into my scalp, so there was nothing to do but wait for the swelling and the blisters to go down.
“I’m definitely never dyeing my hair again – I’m going to let it grow out and then just leave it.”
The mother said she used to dye her hair when she was a teen. “Because it had been so many years since I last dyed it, I was really religious about reading the pamphlet and doing the patch test, because I wanted it to be perfect,” Leonie expressed.
She also carried out a patch test for both Schwarzkopf Live hair dyes before applying the products to her hair.
“Nothing came up at all – not a mark. So I went ahead and dyed the bottom half of my hair purple, and that went fine. Then I gave it a couple of days before doing the blue hair dye on the top half of my head at about 5.30pm on Thursday,” Leonie said.
“When I woke up the next morning, my ears and the side of my neck had started swelling a bit – but I was able to manage it okay with just taking some anti-allergy tablets I had at home,” she continued.
But when the mother-of-four woke up on Saturday morning, she was stunned at how the reaction had developed.
“I woke up and my hairline was covered in these big blisters, and my eyes were swollen so much I couldn’t see anything,” she said.
She was rushed to a hospital where she was given allergy tablets and creams, steroids, and put on a fluid drip.
Leonie further said: “The blisters kept popping and oozing out blue dye.
“’They had to keep the lights off above my hospital bed because the light was irritating my eyes. All I could do was sit and wait for it to get better.”
The mother returned home after over 36 hours in the hospital but she said that the swelling hasn’t completely disappeared.
“I just need to keep taking the medication – and waiting for my hair to grow out and go back to normal,” she said.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!
Recommended Video For You!
“This Hairdresser From Britain Gives Free Haircuts To The Homeless”