36-year-old Jamie Hogan said she will never eat her favorite cake again after she found its inside green to the core with mold.
The mother-of-one from New South Wales was left gagging after she cut into her favorite birthday cake only to discover its entire sponge was already rotten.
Jamie said that she refrigerated the $31.50 cake right after her husband bought it knowing it had been her favorite treat for seven long years.
However, they were all left gagging and horrified as they had eaten some icing from it.
“I pulled the knife out and I immediately thought that doesn’t look right. I thought maybe it was the cream or something, then I noticed it was green and I thought maybe they have used food colouring by accident,” Jamie shared.
“But my husband took one look at it and said ‘that’s mould’, you could see where the sponge used to have a normal vanilla colour on the edges. I nearly threw up, I had to put it all back in the box because I couldn’t even look at it.
“I’ve been worrying about the fact that Piper had some of the icing, I don’t even want to think about what could have happened had she eaten some of the actual cake.
“My stomach has been turning constantly ever since, I’ve not been right. When you look at mould it makes you feel sick, it does things to your mind and stomach.”
The mother-of-one called the bakery right away and the manager offered a refund, telling her to bring the moldy cake back to the store. She was later offered a $32.80 voucher by the customer services manager.
“I have been going to them for 19 years and I have never had a problem with any of their cakes until now. The voucher is no good to me because there’s no way in hell I’ll be going back there again,” Jamie expressed.
“It’s not really about the money it’s the fact that it could have been a vulnerable person who bought it and if they hadn’t noticed that it was off, how seriously ill could they have been.
“If a child got hold of a cake like that, they’d have their hands in there and they would be eating it before you’d even have time to realise.”
A spokesperson for the bakery said: “After an internal review of the incident we can confirm that the picture shared was a one-off isolated occurrence.
“This cake was delivered by the supplier to the store less than 24 hours before it was sold. It was already fully decorated meaning the store owner was unable to see the inside of the cake before it was sold.
“Despite this cake being a popular product with hundreds sold every day, there have been no other incidents identified in the network.
“Our number one priority remains customer safety and quality and we are working with this supplier to ensure that this does not happen again.”
What’s your take on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this post with your friends and family!