Check out the video to find out more about energy drinks!
Video credit: DailyMail
A guy who was addicted to energy drinks and used to consume at least a dozen of them each day has revealed how the chemicals in the drinks have left his tongue blistered and peeled.
Dan Royals, a teacher, shared the shocking photos of his torn off mouth on social media to warn others about the dangers of energy drinks, especially those that contain around 58 grams of sugar per drink.
Royals said he drank at least six cans per day and left his habit only after doctors told him that excessive sugars and chemicals such as herbal substances, amino acids, and B vitamins were eating his flesh away.
‘Who drinks energy drinks? Addicted to them? You may want to think again,’ Royals, an Australian who lives in Asia, wrote in a post shared on Facebook group Get It Off Your Chest.
‘Have a look at the second pic… That’s what that s*** does to your tongue, imagine what’s it like on your internals?
‘Up until recently when this started to occur I was drinking at least 5-6 a day (lack of energy teaching kids usually) and I brush daily, went to the doctor and boom!
‘Found out it’s the chemicals in these drinks that are causing it… It literally eats away at your tongue.
‘So be wary guys.’
Royals said he also smoked cigarettes but his condition was caused by the excessive consumption of energy drinks.
‘Just to make it clear, I actually do care for my oral health but this is purely from these drinks… I do smoke but has nothing to do with the eating away of my tongue,’ he wrote.
The high concentration of acids and sugars in energy drinks can cause severe damage to our oral cavity if we consume them in excess, dentists have warned.
World Health Organization has also found similar results in their studies.
‘A study in the US showed that dental cavities can result from the acidic pH and high-sugar content of products such as energy drinks,’ a researcher from WHO said.
‘Another study showed that consumption of energy drinks can cause erosion and smear layer removal in the teeth, leading to cervical dentin hypersensitivity.’
Related Video – “Horrified mother discovers pins in the punnet of strawberries.”