A man has swallowed two live eels and nearly lost his life after attempting to treat constipation with the help of an ancient folk remedy.
The incident occurred in China where the 51-year-old construction worker ended up with torn intestines after gobbling two eels in an attempt to remove his stool faster.
Unfortunately for the man, the creatures, which were “very thick” at the time surgeons got to them and removed them, left the worker in a critical condition.
As the News 360 report elaborated, the man was rushed to the hospital some 24 hours after swallowing the eels as he began experiencing severe abdominal pain.
The anonymous worker also admitted he didn’t seek medical attention immediately because he was a migrant and lived in the city on his own.
During emergency surgery, the doctors removed two massive eels from his ruptured intestines and encountered a life-threatening bacterial infection.
According to Dr. Sun Haijian of the Jiangsu Provincial Traditional Chinese Medicine Hospital, who spoke out to News 360, the eels were found in the lower part of the patient’s abdomen.
In addition, the surgeons have come across a large, 0.8-inch rupture in the man’s colon.
“Because the eels were alive while being swallowed (…) A person’s intestines are fragile, therefore they will be ruptured as soon as [they] bite them,” the doctor said.
According to the reports, the man has already been discharged from the hospital following his close call with death.
What are your thoughts on this story? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to SHARE this post with your family and friends and follow us on Facebook for more news and stories!