Christopher Peni who had been eating fries at midnight at the Nepean Highway McDonalds in the inner-Melbourne suburb of Elsternwick had no idea that he would regret it later.
While eating, he spat out a glass fragment about 5mm by 25mm, along with blood.
He complained to the staff and visited Sandringham Hospital emergency department. He was sent home but collapsed days later with severe abdominal pain and rushed to the hospital. A scan discovered he had a half-centimeter square piece of broken, jagged tubular glass in his stomach.
Christopher was unable to eat for days and suffered from constant pain and anxiety. He had to go for surgery at Frankston Hospital to remove the glass after four days without bowel movements.
Staff at the Elsternwick McDonalds told a Glen Eira Council inspector that a heat lamp had accidentally crashed over the fries warmer. Elsternwick franchisee Kellyco Group Pty Ltd. pleaded guilty to one charge of selling unsafe food at Moorabin Magistrates Court and was fined $200,000.
Kellyco’s defense lawyer Sebastian Reid said the franchise serves 900,000 customers a year and operates 24/7 had no such bad record other than this incident. ‘The mischief, in this case, arose when one piece of glass failed to be removed,’ Mr. Reid told the court.
Mr. Reid said it was a matter of ‘considerable regret and remorse’, the Herald Sun reported and that the company had reached a confidential agreement with Mr. Christopher Peni.
Magistrate Therese McCarthy accepted the company had a good record and was repentant, but said the incident had put a victim in the hospital who had to go through surgery.
She ordered them to pay $40,000 to the court fund and placed Kellyco Group on a 12-month good behavior bond. The company has been ordered to cover council costs of $649. According to Daily Mail, ‘’No conviction was recorded against them.’’
“Girl Whose Neck Bends At 90-degree Angle Desperately Waiting For Life-saving Surgery”
[rumble video_id=v5b307 domain_id=u7nb2]