A man who used a vape which he purchased from a street dealer was placed in a medically induced coma.
The cartridge severely damaged his lungs and he was hospitalized.
After allegedly vaping Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the unnamed man said to have gone through a major damage to other organs too. THC is actually the psychoactive ingredient in cannabis.
The man in his mid-20’s was taken to the Aurora Memorial Hospital having issues of breathing problems. Medics thought it might be pneumonia but quickly found out what had actually happened.
His brother, Patrick DeGrave said that it happened due to the cheap cartridges that he bought on the street in the US state of Wisconsin.
Speaking to Fox 6, DeGrave said: “‘These street vapes are very, very dangerous. My brother nearly lost his life.”
“The trauma that he caused to his lungs is significant, the trauma he caused to his heart is significant. These vapes can cost you your life.”
“Within 24 hours he was being medically sedated and being put in a medically induced coma.”
Children hospital treated eight patients in just four weeks with severe lung damage. Surprisingly, all had the common problem of vaping.
Speaking of his brother’s recovery DeGrave said: “It’s wait and see,”
“We’re uncertain right now if he’ll ever fully recover from this.”
Doctors at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin issued a similar alert on the same day.
“Vaping in teenagers is something that’s harming our kids and we want that to be loud and clear,” said Dr. Michael Gutzeit, chief medical officer.
“We don’t have a lot of information about the long-term effects and sometimes even the short-term effects,”
According to hospital officials, “the symptoms of lung damage from the vapes include extreme coughing, trouble breathing, while some had lost weight from vomiting and diarrhea.“