A man accidentally glued his girlfriend’s eyes shut after he confused her eye drops with a powerful superglue.
55-year-old Regina Amorim was rushed to a hospital after her boyfriend dropped the substance directly into her right eye when she asked him for help.
Regina keeps her eye drops, which are used for treating glaucoma, in the fridge. However, her boyfriend decided to store a similar-sized tube of powerful superglue alongside because of the heat in the Brazilian city of Cachoeiro de Itapemirim.
When the boyfriend picked up the medicine, he accidentally grabbed the superglue. He only realized the terrifying mistake when Regina started to scream.
According to reports, the couple could not tell the difference between the eye drops and the glue, which have similar names in Portuguese ‘colirio’ and ‘cola.’
Neither of them were wearing their eyeglasses when the incident happened and the two containers are also similar in size.
Regina was rushed to a local hospital where doctors used cotton and serum to alleviate the pain.
Ophthalmologist Liana Tito told UOL: “When chemical products such as superglue, or even alcohol gel, which happens quite frequently, fall in the eye region, the eyelid can be affected by chemical burns.”
She also said that the burns can affect Regina’s conjunctiva and cornea.
Regina was discharged the same day and is now recovering at home.
“I had tears running down my cheeks all night,” she expressed. “The glue stuck to the cilium region can form a crust, which rubs against the cornea causing extensive lesions.
“If for some reason these lesions evolve, they cause bacterial ulcers and then become lesions with imminent risks of perforation and blindness.”
The 55-year-old went to another ophthalmologist who reopened her eye and used tweezers and scissors to remove the traces of superglue.
“The glue stuck to the cilium region can form a crust, which rubs against the cornea causing extensive lesions,” the doctor said.
It is not clear if Regina will suffer any long-term damage to her eye.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!