A man almost died after inserting a 20-inch eel up his bum to treat constipation.
The 49-year-old from China was rushed to a hospital when the live eel started to wreak havoc on his intestines, according to the Guangzhou Daily.
Identified only as Liu, he told doctors that his friends said constipation could be treated by an eel.
But after inserting the live fish up his bum, he decided to go to a hospital as the pain in his stomach area became too agonizing.
According to doctors of Guangzhou Dongren Hospital, the patient arrived complaining of severe abdominal pain but did not mention anything about the eel.
Doctors rushed him into surgery and were shocked to see a 1.2-inch thick eel inside him.
“We opened up his stomach and saw the eel amongst his faeces and food debris,” Dr. Zhao Zhirong said. “He also suffered a punctured pancreas.”
Medics also discovered that the eel had broken through his intestines and wreak havoc in his stomach, ‘almost killing him.’
“When we asked the patient after surgery, he said the eel swam up by itself,” Dr. Zhirong said. “But he later admitted that he put it there himself while following a folk remedy for bowel obstruction.”
Doctors successfully removed the 20-inch long Asian swamp eel. It weighed about 0.55lbs with a head of 1.18 to 1.97 inch wide.
It is not clear what happened to the eel.
One internet user commented: “Oh my life! Fancy lying that it went up there by mistake. Could understand if it was my ex husband though as his loose ring piece from being fisted by a taxi driver he met online,would be able to accept anything entering.”
Another wrote: “To cure his constipation…..riiiiiiight.”
A third said: “Good grief! so nothing OTC you wanted to try first? or you just went straight for the eel! Lol”
What’s your take on this? Let us know in the comments section! SHARE this with your friends and family and don’t forget to FOLLOW our page for more stories and news!