A 19-year-old, from Smithills in Greater Manchester, has died after eating prawns at a Chinese restaurant.
Sam Collings ordered prawns at a family meal in Darwen and didn’t know that he was allergic to the seafood dish.
After having the family meal, Sam, an aspiring painter and decorator, went out with his friends.
He then complained that he was unable to breathe and his condition became worse.
He then suffered a heart attack and died the next morning just two weeks before his 20th birthday at the Royal Bolton Hospital.
His devastated family spoke of the tragic death of their son at an inquest into his death at Lancashire Coroners.
The family never knew he had any serious allergies and he was never diagnosed with severe allergic reactions.
He suffered a cardiac arrest after an anaphylactic reaction to eating prawns.
Coroner James Newman said: “Mr. Collings suffered a cardiac arrest after an anaphylactic reaction to eating prawns.”
“He had only the slightest history of any such allergy and no history of a serious reaction to previously consumed prawns.”
According to the post mortem report, Sam suffered a heart attack that failed his multiple organs and he died.
Mr. Newman said since his family didn’t know he had any serious allergies, the incident was unexpected and unavoidable.
He said: “The level of his reaction couldn’t have been predicted by the evidence available to him.”
“Despite maximal medical therapy, he passed away at the Royal Bolton Hospital on August 4 as a result of the anaphylaxis.”
His family is devastated after the sudden death of their son. His dad, Steven, said: “The family is broken up beyond words by what has happened.”
He also said that they “could not have asked for a better son”.
[rumble video_id=v1lrp7 domain_id=u7nb2]