A 24-year-old man from Glendale, California has been charged with vandalizing President Trump’s Hollywood star, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
Austin Mikel Clay was arrested on the count of vandalism for allegedly destroying the Walk of Fame Star with a pickaxe before the July 25 morning.
If convicted, Clay who turned himself in to police faces a maximum of 3 years of imprisonment.
After the man had destroyed the iconic star, he “called police and advised he had vandalized Donald Trump’s star and basically called on himself and said, ‘See you soon’,” Lt. Karen Leong, of the LAPD, told Los Angeles Times.
The District Attorney’s Office later said in a statement that Clay turned himself in to the authorities the following day.
Clay is expected to be arraigned in court on August 15 and his bond has been set at $20,000.
Watch the 24-year-old man destroy Trump’s star in the video below.
President Trump received the Hollywood Walk of Fame Star for his work on the reality show “The Apprentice.”
However, it’s not the first time someone has vandalized Trump’s star. The star located on Hollywood Boulevard was previously destroyed by James Otis with a pickaxe and sledgehammer just days before the 2016 election.
Otis was ordered to pay $4,400 for the damage. In addition to that, he was given 20 days of community labor and was sentenced to 3 years of probation for vandalism.
Otis also told TMZ in July that he wants to pay for Clay’s bail.
Authorities have strongly condemned the act saying it benefits no one.
President of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Leron Gubler said in a statement on July 25, “When people are unhappy with one of our honorees, we would hope that they would project their anger in more positive ways than to vandalize a California State landmark.”
Statement by President/CEO- @HollywoodArea Chamber: When people are unhappy with one of our honorees, we would hope that they would project their anger in more positive ways than to vandalize a California State Landmark.’ @realDonaldTrump Star destroyed in Hollywood. pic.twitter.com/2J1nlZ7Bxl
— Craig Fiegener (@CraigNews3LV) July 25, 2018
“8-Year-Old Boy Waited Patiently For Trump’s Attention Gets A Kiss On The Head”