How unfortunate was Malcolm Duffy who was told that he would be able to breathe freely once his both the lungs will be transplanted? What was supposed to change his life for the good ended up taking his life? He was a father of two.
In 2004, Malcolm was diagnosed with pulmonary arterial hypertension; this caused high blood pressure in his arteries which fed through lungs and his heart. He was recommended by the doctors a transplant if he wished to breathe as he used to.
The donor was finally available and he was ready to go through the transplant in April 2018. But who knew he wouldn’t even wake up after the operation was over. He didn’t regain his consciousness for the next two weeks straight and instead his heart ended up taking its final beat.
Rachel, 34, who is devastated after experiencing the tragic death of his husband, the outcome that was completely unexpected.
The widow says that his husband would never have gone through the procedure if he was aware that the organs being transplanted are infected.
She expressed how dark it is to witness the sudden death of his husband. This incident has left her rest of the family in a deep black hole.
Rachel added that they were told at the time of Mal’s operation that the organs were in the right condition on the retrieval but not so good when witnessed on arrival.
It was later discovered that he had a larger hole in his heart than expected due to which he suffered from bleeding and blood clots, due to which one of the transplanted lungs had to be removed.
Later when the wife enquired about what went wrong, it was revealed that the Klebsiella bacterial infection was ‘the cause of his final severe septic episode.’ A later pathologist also reported pneumonia in the transplanted lungs.
Rachel still can’t look at his husband’s medical reports without breaking down. She added that he should have been there with us for the Christmas.
The surgeon was not able to look her in the eye after the operation, and that is when she knew something is wrong, says Rachel.
The Freeman Hospital hasn’t yet answered about the donor’s lungs being bacterial and pneumonia infected.
Andrew Welch, trust’s medical director in his report on the inquest hs stated that occurrences with Mr. Duffy’s could not have been foreseen.
Share this post with your friends and family.
“Homeless Man Shivering On Subway, Then One Stranger Comes Over And Gives Him His Clothes”
Don’t forget to ▼LIKE US▼ for more inspirational stories:)