A problem that still remains a massive problem for teenagers and adolescents is alcohol abuse.
There can be many causes, such as peer pressure, emotional abuse or just the natural desire everyone has to just experiment, but many teenagers don’t know when to stop. It can be very easy to drink too much and for one Minnesota girl, she had to learn that lesson the hard way.
In March 2014, Kelliee Jo Nelson, a mother from Minnesota, wrote an emotional post on her Facebook page where she described what her daughter did and where her choices ended her up.
When Kelliee left her home for just two hours, her daughter went into their liquor cabinet and drank so much alcohol that her blood alcohol level was high enough to kill a full grown man! Her daughter had risked her life without even knowing it and Kelliee knew she had to tell others of the dangers that lurk in those bottles.
Attached to the post was a horrifying and shocking photo of Taylor, unconscious, laying in a hospital bed with tubes all connected to her face and mouth.Her daughter was struggling to stay alive and Kelliee wrote the post in the hopes of preventing someone else from being like her daughter.
The post instantly went viral, breaking one million shares very quickly as parents and teenagers alike heard the horrifying story of Kelliee’s daughter and the dangers of alcohol abuse.
Thankfully, this story has a happy ending as Kelliee’s daughter, Taylor, survived the incident. Still though, her story will serve as a powerful lesson of many. The dangers of alcohol abuse are very real.
This is what 2 beers, 2 shots of Captain Morgan, 2 shots of apple pie moonshine, 2 shots of whiskey, and a handful of liquor soaked blueberries looks like on a 16 year old.
My daughter and her cousin decided to throw themselves a party last night while they were home alone for 2 hours at their dads’ house. They raided the liquor cabinet and when my ex husband got home he found the girls drunk and our daughter unresponsive. He rushed her to the hospital in Wyoming, and Court and I met him there.
When I arrived I was rushed into the ER and there was my child, lying on a gurney. She was covered in heated blankets to combat hyperthermia – her body temperature was 95 degrees. She was being pumped full of iv fluids. One of the tubes in her throat was running into her stomach continously draining the fluid therein.
It took the ER team 3 attempts to intubate Taylor, they tore her throat up in the process. It was necessary – so she could be attached to the ventilator which spent the next 13 hours breathing for her, because she wasn’t able to breathe on her own.
She was rushed by ambulance to U of M Amplatz Children’s Hospital around midnight.
My daughter’s symptoms were caused by her blood alcohol level reaching it’s plateau at .43.
More than 5 times the legal limit.
High enough to kill a grown man.
The Doctors at Amplatz made it very clear to us that had her father had not found our child when he did, she would have undoubtedly died in that house last night.
We, by the Grace Of God alone, will not be burying our child this week. But only because we are extremely blessed.
And extremely lucky.
I hope my daughter and my niece understand how fortunate they both are. I hope they learned a valuable lesson in this. And I hope this experience shared can help prevent another child losing her life to alcohol.
Parents: 2 hours. They were only alone for 2 hours.
Kids: 2 beers and 6 shots is all it took to almost kill this girl.
Please share this. Help raise awareness of the dangers of alcohol poisoning and teenage binge drinking.
I never thought I could find us in a situation like this.
Neither did Taylor.
Maybe we should have.