Watch Amy May on This Morning show:
Video Credit: ITV1/This Morning
A former ITV producer, who was left brain-damaged, paralyzed and blind after eating nuts, is finally back home after five years.
31-year-old Amy May Shead, a producer on This Morning, suffered an anaphylactic shock after she ate one mouthful of a chicken and rice dish that contained nuts.
She went into cardiac arrest and her brain was starved of oxygen for six minutes.
She was rushed to the Peterfy Hospital in the Hungarian capital and put into an induced coma.
She was then sent to St Thomas’ Hospital in London via air ambulance.
She spent a year at Putney Neurological Hospital and three years at the Marillac Care center in Brentwood, Essex.
Ms. Shead, who is now partially paralyzed, blind and unable to speak properly, is finally back home after four years.
Her mother Sue Shead said it was ‘lovely to have her home’ but ‘every day is hard to get through.’
‘But we’d do anything for her.’
The Amy May Trust website – set up by her family – wrote:
‘Almost five years from when tragedy struck, Amy has now come home. Amy was given a wonderful send-off from the Marillac Care facility where she has lived for the past three years, to start a whole new chapter to live with her devoted parents, Sue and Roger.’
‘Amy has lived full time in three venues since 2014, St Thomas’ Hospital, Putney Neurological Hospital and Marillac Care, the staff from each treating Amy with great compassion, care and love and we thank the staff of all three of these facilities for their kindness – shown not only to her but also to her family and friends.
‘However, as we all know, there is no place like home or the strength of family ties, and absolutely nothing which compares to the love of a parent.’
‘Amy, welcome home’.
“Princess Diana remembered on the 21st anniversary of her death”