Who doesn’t love it when their child begins to show interest in arts and crafts? You can truly see your child’s creativity blossom in ways you never expected.
So when Siobhan Quinn saw that her daughter was quickly taking an interest in a new craze of creating your very own homemade “slime”, she, too, was hooked. It was going to be a fun project she could bond with her child over and create great memories. Siobhan Quinn told WCVB in an interview:
I thought it was great. I encouraged it and bought all the stuff. And then when it was gone, I bought more. She was being a little scientist.
Siobhan thought the project was all good fun and may even encourage her daughter to seek a career in science. Everything seemed fantastic, Siobhan was happy her daughter was learning and experimenting and her daughter Kathleen was having fun. Siobhan assumed that the recipe for the homemade slime had originated at school, perhaps a fun science experiment.
But when Kathleen was at a sleepover and she woke up in the middle of the night, something was very wrong. Kathleen’s hands were in excruciating pain, as if they were burning.
It felt like really hot and tingly — Kathleen
When Siobhan heard that her daughter was having these problems she immediately rushed over to pick up Kathleen who was crying. Siobhan didn’t know what to do and brought her child to the hospital. The news wasn’t good. Kathleen was diagnosed with second and third degree burns on her hands.
What had caused these burns on Kathleen’s hands? One of the ingredients of the homemade slime is actually borax.
This one ingredient can cause chemical burns on the skin if the person has prolonged exposure to it on their skin.If instructions are followed properly, borax can be typically safe, however Siohban never expected that the homemade slime recipe could potentially harm her daughter.
You just have to really read the packages and know what you’re mixing because there are certain things in the home that are just dangerous. — Dr. Megan Hannon
Indeed, parents should always be supervising their children when making even the simplest DIY project. While Kathleen will make a full recovery, Siobhan wants this to be a lesson not only to herself, but to other parents who may be unaware that this homemade slime project is not as safe as some may think.
What do you think? Should DIY projects like this that involve potentially dangerous chemicals like borax be aimed toward children? Were you aware of the dangers these simple DIY projects pose to your children? Tell us down below!