A Purple Heart recipient passed away rescuing his three-year-old granddaughter from a house fire.
Don Osteen was eating lunch with the young girl when the candle he lit 15 feet away from the stove suddenly caused an explosion.
His son, Brendon Osteen, said to NBC affiliate KFOR: “He just got out of the house, and headed straight towards where he knew help was,” Brendon said.
“He tried to get in his truck and his keys were melted to him. His phone was exploded in his pocket.”
Don braved through severe burns, broken ribs and a collapsed lung to get his granddaughter to safety.
“He wasn’t worried about himself at all,” Brendon said to KFOR. “I’ll leave it at that, but ‘save her’ is what message he was trying to get across, and he did exactly that.”
Don’s fire was shocked to find the two with severe burns and they were airlifted to Integris Burn Center in Oklahoma City. Pateyn had 30 percent burns while his father had 70 percent burns.
Sadly, Don succumbed to his severe injuries. Brendon confirmed the heartbreaking news on Facebook that his dad didn’t make it.
“Unfortunately my dad Don O’Steen passed away this afternoon around 1pm. He was surrounded by a large group of his favorite people for his last 5 days. He knew that he did his job by saving the life of his Boo Boo Chicken. He loved my daughter beyond unconditionally. And he gave it all for her to live,” Brendon wrote.
“He was a great God-fearing man who impacted so many people.And he will be missed dearly. My dad was a very Christian man.
He believed he should try his best to live his life to the standard of Jesus Christ and that was his first obligation every day that he woke up.He lived to be like Christ, and he gave his life in the sacrifice of my daughters Like Christ.
“He was happy on his way to heaven and I hope that brings all of you who knew him and loved him personally to peace with his passing. Rest In Peace Daddio. You’re a hero.”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this post with your family and friends!