A 2-year-old girl’s low-grade fever led her to her death.
Her family wants to raise awareness of this problem that happens more than you think.
Brianna Florer’s grandfather, Kent Vice, said that his granddaughter had not been feeling well for days. At first, her family did not think much of it.
The toddler only had a low-grade fever but her condition changed instantly.
After a few days, the cheerful toddler started turning blue and throwing up blood. Brianna’s parents, Stephanie and Brian, took their daughter to the hospital.
Unfortunately, it was already too late for little Brianna.
She passed away from the ingestion of a button battery that had distributed toxic chemicals into her body. Doctors believe she had eaten the battery six days before she was taken to the hospital.
The family wants to warn other parents about the dangers of small batteries that are often found in remote controls, toys, watches and hearing aids.
Vice told a local news station: “I want to keep these things out of houses. They are dangerous.”
The National Capital Poison Center said that “from 2005 to 2014, there were 11,940 battery-swallowing incidents involving children under the age of 6 nationally. Of those cases, 15 children died, and another 101 suffered major medical problems.”
Dr. Toby Litovizts from NCPC said: “These devastating outcomes occur in small children when batteries get stuck in the esophagus.”
Most of these button batteries will pass through without problems. But when they become stuck, they release toxic chemicals that can cause devastating results.
Vice hopes his granddaughter’s story will bring more awareness to the dangers of button batteries.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this with your family and friends!
“Brave boy, 4, is told he is cancer-free and can go home”