A two-year-old girl passed away after she ingested a toilet cleaner.
Arietta-Grace Barnett was playing with her older sister at their home when she saw a capsule of Toilet Duck bleach and drank its contents.
She was rushed to a hospital when she threw up ‘bright pink vomit’ but was sent home a few days later with a diagnosis of ‘potential gastroenteritis.’
According to reports, a court heard that a hospital doctor searched for the ingredients of toilet bleach in Google and decided that it was not toxic to the toddler.
But 11 days later, the little girl suffered a nose bleed and threw up blood.
Her parents rushed her again to Southampton General Hospital where she passed away.
“On 28 June 2019 [Arietta-Grace’s mother] called 111 concerned her daughter may have swallowed a cleaning product while she was downstairs.,” said Rosamund Rhodes-Kemp, the area coroner for Hampshire, Portsmouth, and Southampton.
“Arietta was upstairs with her four-year-old sister. She was admitted to hospital and said to be suffering diarrhoea and vomiting which was reported to be pink in colour.”
Dr. Nicola Trevelyan explained to the coroner in Winchester: “Nobody had directly seen her swallow anything but her mother Lucy said it was clear she had been playing with the dispenser of the toilet bleach.
“The child-proof lock had not worked as there had been a bit gouged out of it. Products that look like sweets will attract children to play with them.
“There were no obvious signs of problems in her mouth but she had discomfort in her throat. Tonsillitis was queried at one point as she was reluctant to drink, not tolerating solid food and throwing up all liquids.”
Dr. Trevelyan then consulted Pediatric Surgeon Charlie Keys as he was more experienced in that area.
“Dr Keys googled the Toilet Duck ingredient list which showed they were acidic rather than alkaline. He felt the risk of injury to the oesophagus was low. It was felt the product was not particularly toxic,’ she told the inquest,” she said.
“It was decided not to put a scope down the oesophagus and into the stomach as it would involve a general anaesthetic. He felt the risk of doing the procedure outweighed the benefit of it.”
But pediatric pathologist Dr. Sam Holden confirmed in a post-mortem examination that there was something that had damaged the child’s esophagus.
The investigation continues.
What are your thoughts on ‘2-Year-Old Girl Died After She Drank Toilet Cleaner And Threw Up ‘Bright Pink Vomit’’? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your friends and family!
Recommended Video For You!
“Little Girl Speaks To And Has Wild Animals Follow Her Like A Real-life Doctor Dolittle”