A 27-year-old footballer passed away after drinking ice-cold water at the end of a match as it triggered a rare cardiovascular reflex.
Ludwin Florez Nole had only finished playing with local side Los Rangers in Sullana Province, Peru when he suddenly felt unwell.
His wife said Ludwin drank a glass of ice-cold water. “Shortly afterwards he started to have chest pains so I took him to a nearby clinic, but he died on the way,” she expressed.
“The doctor told me that he suffered a heart attack because he drank too much cold water while his body was still hot.”
Doctors believed that the cold water caused a change in his heart rate and resulted in a cardiovascular reflex.
The incident is rare when brought on by consuming cold liquid but microbial contaminants in water are known to trigger stomach cramps and other conditions. For instance, arsenic in water can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, convulsion, stomach pains, and death.
One person said: “Lots of footballers are told to drink room temperature drinks. I think Wenger brought the idea to Arsenal in the 90’s and other Prem teams followed suit. I was told by my dad when i was a kid in the 80’s to never drink cold drinks after exercise too, mad.”
Another wrote: “I was told some years ago that if you are engaged in prolonged strenuous activity, activity that significantly increases your heart rate for a prolonged time and/or significantly increases your body temperature that you should drink room temperature water because drinking cold water is like a shock to your heart and can be fatal.”
A third commented: “This is so common and it’s almost always deadly. People on holiday who die after jumping in a cold pool after tanning all day for example. it’s a shock to the body. Same thing can happen when someone is cold, they advise not to heat up too quickly as the blood rushes back to the heart and causes shock again. RIP man :(.”
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your family and friends!