An unfortunate father got way more than he bargained for after visiting a hair salon.
He didn’t realize there was a problem until three days later.
45-year-old Dave Tyler was rushed to a hospital after his right side suddenly went numb before he collapsed.
It was discovered that he had suffered a stroke due to a blood clot – but how he developed the blood clot was shocking.
It turned out that the blood clot was created when he tilted his head too far while getting his hair washed at the salon. The angle injured his neck and caused the formation of the clot.
The case may seem like an isolated incident but the condition, also referred to as ‘Beauty Salon Stroke Syndrome’, was first recognized in 1993. In early 2017, a woman from Great Britain also experienced the same thing.
The angle of the head while getting their hair washed can restrict blood circulation and result in a stroke. The proper angle shouldn’t be more than 15 degrees.
People suffering from arthritis of the neck, already have reduced blood flow to the brain, and the elderly are susceptible.
Speaking of the collapse, Tyler said to Daily Mail: “I felt the whole side of my body go numb and while waiting for the ambulance my eyes went ping and started rolling. This made me nauseous so I was sick.
“I took a swig of water without knowing I’d lost the ability to swallow. The water wasn’t going anywhere and I couldn’t breathe. And because I wasn’t able to swallow, I ingested some of the vomit into my lungs and developed pneumonia.”
Tyler had to stay in the hospital for three months and returned home in a wheelchair.
Even though Tyler won a lawsuit against the salon for more than $110,000, he still suffers with his sense of balance. “I will never drive again because I have permanently wobbly double vision,” he expressed.
The stroke survivor warns others about the condition and recommends at all salons put a towel under a client’s neck when washing their hair.
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments section and SHARE this story with your family and friends!
“Husband Learns To Style His Wife’s Hair After She Had A Stroke (video)”